Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's been too long!

Whoo, I have not written in quite some time. Oops. But with school now and my work study job just started, and having to eat and bathe, I've been busy. I know - my mom said just tonight that the point of blog is to write and I am going to try to do better. So!

Two weeks before school started - the week of August 10th, my mom and I flew down to Sacramento to visit some family. It wasn't really a visit as in a vacation: my grandma fell and broke her hip a while back and for the meantime is living with my aunt in her house until the stupid "Medi-Cal" comes through. Let's just say I never want to live in California, especially with the way the government is right now. My grandma has become more than a handful and we basically went down to help my aunt with that and with household chores. It would seem that Grandma has gone a bit senile, but honestly there is nothing wrong, she's perfectly fine now. She just refuses to do anything herself, which made my aunt, my mom, and me feel like the maids. I hate feeling like that, unless I'm being paid for it. The only thing that really is wrong with my grandma is the fact that her hands shake and occasionally she spills food on her front. So my mom decided to ask a friend of ours to make some bibs to take to Sacremento with us. But being jobless, slightly bored, and trying to pick up more girly hobbies, I practically begged my mom to let me try to make the bibs. She just smiled and handed me a pink poka-dotted towel from Macy's for the material.

Now to be able to make the bibs I pretty much had to teach myself how to sew. Our sewing machine is fairly old, but easy to work so it's a nice machine for beginners. I took the sewing machine out of the room that is currently holding all of my mom's craft supplies and put in on the kitchen table; I put on a CD and created my own little sweat-shop! It took me a while but it was fun! Thank God my mom was patient in showing me how to thread the bobbin.

After I had the bibs sewn, I actually embroidered them! I took pictures from the internet and copied them with a marker onto the bibs. All in all, I think it took me about a week to finish the three bibs.
I sewed together two pieces of material that I had cut into a bib shape then turned it inside-out and hand-sewed the hole shut. So this is how the bibs looked: one had blue backing, the other yellow plaid, and the third pale green with white poka-dots. (Sorry that the pictures are sideways, and I'm only showing the blue one)



On each one I embroidered something special!


My grandma's name is Maxine, so I embroidered a little 'M'.

And a four-leaf clover. I did this one first, and it was difficult - as you can see.




Anyway, the week wasn't great but it did have its really fun moments: my aunt and I talked a lot and since she's a professor our conversations were really stimulating. Although, we talked for about an hour over breakfast about the latest Harry Potter movie! One night, my Aunt's friend Bill (I miss his long ponytail) came over and cooked pork ribs coated with a delicious raspberry sauce. They were so good I ate five! I really want my mom to remake the recipe. Then for one day, my mom and I took ourselves and went out shopping. Of course, we went to Barnes and Nobles and my mom kindly let me happily wander around (more like float) by myself. After a while, though, she came up to me really angry - I seriously thought that I had done something wrong and was in serious trouble. That wasn't the case. My uncle and his wife had come down to visit and were watching Grandma while we were out, but we had apparently taken too long (45 minutes) and they had to eat before six and wanted us to get our butts back there so they could go out. Real nice, I know. So my mom said that she was going to go back and would sit with Grandma until she was free to come get me. That's right! I was left by myself at Barnes and Nobles for two and half hours!!!! I was in HEAVEN. When my mom did come back, she then took me out for some fantastic sushi. We ordered three platters and ate the equivalent of two (we took the rest home for Grandma). Again, HEAVEN!! And the mochi ice cream balls I had there were delicious. Actually, the same ones are sold at Trader Joe's!

So visiting Grandma wasn't great, but I will remember the best parts.
I will write again tomorrow. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment