Monday, September 21, 2009

Salmon, Wolves, and Cupcakes!

(Beware: this post is long, but it's almost all pictures)
So, last Thursday my Environmental Science Lab class had an all day field trip! I was so excited. I love travelling, even if it's just for the day. We were to meet the bus at 8 a.m. so we all stood on the corner by the dormitories for the best view of where the bus might show up. Being me, I promptly introduced myself to Jessie, the girl standing next to me, and we chatted until the bus finally came.
Once on the bus, our teacher said that it would be about an hour and half drive (on a bus that means two and half hours) to our destination and that we could go back to sleep, which we all did. When we woke up and got off the bus, the question on everybody's mind was 'Where are we?' Our teacher never did actually tell us where we were going.
(This is Jessie)

It turns out that our first stop was in Orofino at the Dworshak National Fish Hatchery. The information was fairly interesting: the guide said some stuff about trout, lots about salmon, some gross stuff... All in all, pretty dull. Although, the hatchery itself was impressive.

Here's the surrounding area of Orofino. I especially love the first picture.
After over an hour at the hatchery, we finally got on the bus again and were allowed to dig into our lunches. After lunch, it was nap time:
Some girls a couple seats in front.
David, another new friend! And Jessie. Both are sound asleep.
Me, before I took a nap.
The highlight (for me) of our trip was going to the Wolf Research Center in Winchester. I was practically bouncing in my seat while we waited to be let into the park. We waited over an hour because they were closed for lunch time. See, the sign says Closed.
This part of the field trip was awesome! I learned so much that I never knew and the park was beautiful. Seriously, though, I practically memorized every word both of the guides said and my eyes never left them. They knew I was listening, even if no one else was. I love wolves, and one thing that I learned that really opened my eyes was that people who do not want any wolves at all in the Rocky Mountain area will never have their way, but neither will those people who want wolves to be left alone (not harrassed, hunted, etc.). I learned that even with the wolf hunts, the wolf population will hardly be affected, and I can be content with that.
We never saw any wolves since it was their napping time and I was sorely disappointed about that. But I have seen a wolf up close before and probably will again.
This is the only picture I took at the center. The entire park looked like this. I could have stayed there for several more hours. I had plenty of sunscreen.
We finally arrived home at about 5 p.m. After all the hiking we did in both Orofino and Winchester, I was exhausted and glad to be back in my dormitory room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday, we celebrated Xenia's 21st birthday! We talked and laughed; shivered as it rained and ate Kim's delicious homemade peach icecream; played games and laughed at Tirzah. Also we all made really interesting cupcakes that tasted wonderful and sweet and so much like a cavity!
These were the cupcakes I made to look and taste like pumpkins.
Xenia's icecream cone cupcakes.
Brittany's hot cocoa cupcakes.

Elisabeth's spaghetti cupcakes. I have to say, these were difficult to eat because of how they looked!
Fluffy neighbors near the party.
Believe it or not, I still have more pictures...aw, forget it. I'll upload them tomorrow. I have to start on homework. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment